The eye doesn’t see. The brain does.
The image is processed, then sent to a retinal implant attached to the retina.
The implant—an array of electrodes—directly stimulates the ganglion cells in the retina.
The electrical stimulation patterns provide maximum visual acuity.
The iBIONICS Diamond Eye:
Cutting-edge Technology, Pioneering Materials
- The iBIONICS Diamond Eye is implanted on the inside surface of the retina.
- The box encapsulating the implant and the electrodes are crafted with stable, inert polycrystalline doped diamond.
- The diamond stimulates the retina to elicit neural response.
- The high-density microchip uses minimal power to electrically stimulate the retina with diamond electrodes.
Nitrogen-doped diamond (N-UNCD) can be modified to endow the material with a combination of properties required for a retinal implant:
- Long-term stability
- A high charge injection capacity enabling effective stimulation at lower applied voltages and currents
In developing the Diamond Eye, we are using a technology that takes advantage of the properties of diamond to stimulate the neural tissue and to safely encapsulate the electronics. We pioneered the concept of diamond as a superior material for bionics.Professor Steven Prawer
The Diamond Microchip
The iBIONICS Diamond Eye encompasses a highly programmable, high-density silicon microchip that uses minimal power.
256 Electrodes (Scalable to 1024 Electrodes)
The implantable microchip is a slab of insulating diamond containing 256 electrodes (scalable to 1024 electrodes) made of conducting diamond.
A specially designed stimulator chip with 256 independently addressable stimulator pads is bump bonded to the diamond electrode array.
The bonded ASIC and electrode array is hermetically sealed in a diamond package using a special brazing technology and laser welding. The completed package is placed in a silicon carrier, inserted into the eye for epiretinal placement. The device is held in place by specially designed retinal tacks.
Video Credit: David Garrett
Don't Be Shy
Drop us a line anytime, and we’ll respond to you as soon as possible