The Diamond Eye™ Market
Over 200 million people worldwide, born with sight, are afflicted with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) or retinitis pigmentosa (RP) leading to blindness.
iBIONICS’ first target is late-stage age-related macular degeneration. The only available treatment is bionic vision. Reimbursement via insurers is available in the US, Europe and Canada for bionic vision solutions.
In 2015, a quarter of the world’s blind population or 50 million people had degenerative retina disease.
By 2020, 200 million people will be living with degenerative retina disease making the societal cost of blindness $670B.
US / Canada Retinal Market
In the US and Canada, 16 million people have dry age-related macular degeneration.
1st Target Market
- Late-stage dry age-related macular degeneration in the US, Canada and Australia.
- There is no cure and the only available treatment is bionic vision.
In the US and Canada, 430,000 people have late-stage dry age-related macular degeneration.
Appetite to Pay
- US Medicare annual budget for wet AMD drugs = $3 billion
- $150,000 reimbursement in US (existing codes / epi-retina implant)
- 213,000 new cases of AMD annually
- 5,000 retina surgeons (members of American Retina Society)
There is no cure for dry age-related macular degeneration.
The only available treatment is bionic vision. Introducing the iBIONICS Diamond Eye™.